Tuesday, 26 November 2013


Initially we had to come up with a logo design. We knew we wanted to include a circle within the logo; we made this image to test out how the text and logo would look.

 After testing out the text and graphic on top of a photo we took of Rae, we chose the font of "secret code" as is was formal with a contemporary feel to it. We decided to have the text offset to the right of the circle, this presents the idea of not being normal or in-line, which is something we wanted to present within the artist.

We made our first design on the basis of the above screen shot from our music video.

This was our first product, we felt it did not represent our artist well enough. Her body language was very closed and the darkness of the image didn't present her as being young or free. This gave us the direction of collecting an image that would allow the final product to present our artist as free-spirited whilst retaining the alternative image we were trying to market the artist with.

We collected the image and decided the ancillary task had to be completely limited in nature. We achieved this by having the image directly in the center of the advertisement, we stuck and chose between two fonts whilst remaining to a limited composition of blacks, greys and whites.

Here is our completed set of ancillary tasks;
  1. The magazine advertisement
  2. The CD front cover
  3. The CD back cover
After making the first design of the magazine advertisement we knew the composition would not present the artist as being free-spirited well enough. We decided on a colors that would work well with our artist and set out collecting images of Hi-res paint in water. We collected the images and after manipulating them we had a skin to peel over our designs. The color worked well and i feel it presented our artist as not only being contemporary but, it gave a psychedelic, hippy vibe that reformed our artist and allowed us to attract a older, perhaps more sophisticated demographic.
The inside CD covers colors were inverted this presented the diversity of subject matter over the album.

Construction Sliderocket

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Dark Room Lighting Experiment

In the shot below we filmed in a dance studio which was used as a dark room effectively, this allowed us to experiment with dynamic lighting using a spotlight and a cover over it. Then we used the cover to allow certain amounts of light to be released and projected onto our performer Rae, at the same time we were moving the light in the movement of the music.

Monday, 11 November 2013

1. White studio

As part of the production we had to set up a white studio. This was to be set up over three days of shooting. We started with a thin 2 metre wide backdrop that had a curve and created the infinite white backdrop as the subject had to stand on the sheet. 
 I then put together the dolly making sure it was able to track forwards and back. The tripod was then added on top of the dolly.

The 3 point lighting was then set up however we ran into some difficulty due to there not being the appropriate equipment. It led us to use the soft box, to light the left of the subject, various low wattage lights to light the right and a reflector (at times) to peel the subject off the backdrop.
** After doing this initial shoot we have discovered that we need more lighting, if we were able to successfully light the subject the quality of footage will increase dramatically.

After the first day of filming we decided we needed a larger canvas for the backdrop. The next day we got a white sheet to put up as the backdrop, we iron it and stapled it to make up the back of the frame.

This gave us a lot more area to work with and we were able to get much longer shots, seeing more of the subject in the frame.